Covered in this quarter’s chart book are:
- Business caution visible in Capex Trend
- Hiring continues to grow strongly
- Bank of England sends warning shot
- Uncertainty slows activity in commercial real estate
- Little near term relief in residential
- Construction workloads being led by housing
Businesses are currently showing reluctance to commit to long term investment spending, however are still hiring. The pressure on the labour market increases, with rising vacancy levels and a decreasing unemployment rate. However, will this spate of hiring result in meaningful productivity growth or ultimately mean higher inflation?
Investment in commercial real estate is slipping, down to £10bn in Q1 from £13bn in the same period in 2018.
Residential values are steadily falling, new buyers are cautious and remain reluctant to invest if further falls in value are possible.
Click below to download your copy of the RICS Chart Book!